Timeline of activities
Key events from October – December 2020
Click below to jump to a section
An online video showing an officer of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad(SARS) shooting Ochuko in front of Westland Hotel, Ughelli, Delta State.
- Minister for State for Labour, Festus Keyamo SAN revealed Ochuko is alive and shared a picture of him in a hospital with a head wound.
- The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu banned SARS and other tactical squads from carrying out routine patrols and other conventional low-risk duties – stop and search duties, checkpoints, mounting of roadblocks, traffic checks, etc
- Vice President (VP), Yemi Osinbajo disclosed that President Muhammadu Buhari wants to see a reform in the NPF.
- Douglas Agu (Runtown) announced he will be leading an #EndSARS protest on Thursday, October 8th.
- Mr Akin Alabi (Federal House of Representatives, Egbeda/Ona-Ara Constituency) moved a motion in the House of Representatives to dissolve SARS.
- SARS officers killed 20-year old upcoming musician Daniel Chibuike (Sleek) in Portharcourt.
- Azeez Fashola (Naira Marley) announced that he will lead #EndSARS protest on Tuesday, October 6th.
- Naira Marley called off a planned protest due to safety of protesters . He said this during a live chat with Frank Mba, the spokesperson of the Nigerian Police Force
- Falz announced he will be part of the #EndSARS protest on Thursday, October 8th.
- Youths in Lagos State began a protest to call for the disbandment of SARS.
- Omoyele Sowore - Publisher, Sahara Reporters called for #EndSARS protest in Abuja to begin on Thursday, October 8th.
- The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila says that the House will draft new legislation to establish a system of accountability for the NPF.
- Nigerian celebrities, Tiwa Savage, Runtown, Falz, Tacha, and DJ Spinall among others, join protests showing support for the call to #EndSARS.
- Debo Adedayo (Mr Macaroni), Rinu Oduala and other Nigerian youths protesting the disbandment of SARS spent the night in front of the Lagos House of Assembly, Alausa, Ikeja.
- #EndSARS protesters at the Lagos House of Assembly submitted their petition to the Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Mr Mudashiru Obasa.
- FK Abudu, Sydney talker and Nasty Black joined the #EndSARS protesters at Alausa.
- #EndSARS protesters met with Lagos House of Assembly members and the Assembly members called on the federal government to scrap SARS.
- The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) condemn the serial breaches of the fundamental rights of Nigerians by the officers of SARS.
- Former VP, Atiku Abubakar says he condemns any use of force on #EndSARS protests across the nation.
- Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotosho, said he has noted the protest against the brutality by SARS and says it agrees that such acts of brutality must stop.
- The management of Flutterwave inc announced the opening of public funds aimed at catering for the medical bills of #EndSARS protesters.
- President Buhari through his Twitter handle revealed he had ordered the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to address Nigerians appealing for calm and patience.
- John Boyega calls for #EndSARS stands in solidarity with Nigerian protesters.
- Feminist Coalition (FemCo) called for donations for the #EndSARS protest and request those leading the protest to reach out for financial support.
- Jimoh Isiaka was killed when police opened fire to disperse protesters in Ogbomosho, Oyo State.
- Police shoot at #EndSARS protesters in Abuja.
- Nigerian singer Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu (Burna Boy) joins the #EndSARS protest.
- American rapper and Producer, Diddy donates to Burna Boy's new project for victims of police brutality in Nigeria.
- Nigerians converged at Dundas Square, Toronto, Canada to join #EndSARS protest.
- IGP, Mohammed Adamu announced the dissolution of SARS across all 36 states and FCT. Shortly after, #EndSARS protesters
were dispersed with water canons by the police in Abuja.
- Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun (Wizkid), Dipo Awojide (Ogbeni Dipo) and others join #EndSARS protest in London.
- Protesters made a list of 5 demands to be met by the federal government.
- The first major gathering of protesters along Lekki -Epe Expressway.
- German Footballer, Mesut Ozil, declare support for the #EndSARS protest in Nigeria.
- God is Good Motors declare support for #EndSARS.
- Piggyvest backs #EndSARS protest.
- Risevest stands in solidarity with relentless young Nigerians protesting against SARS brutality.
- #EndSARS protest held at Nigerian Embassy Ireland.
- President Buhari addressed the #EndSARS protesters in his first televised speech.
- Police attacks #EndSARS protesters in Surulere, Lagos; kill Mr Iloamauzor and arrested some protesters.
- Nigerian singer, Adekunle Kosoko(Adekunle Gold) joins #EndSARS protest in Houston, United States.
- David Adeleke(Davido), Dapo Oyebanji(D'Banj), Segun Awosanya(Segalinks), and Korede Bello meets with the IGP of Nigerian Police in Abuja.
- Amnesty International announced that the NPF has killed 10 persons since the protest began.
- The Governor of Rivers States, Nyesome Wike announced a ban on all forms of protest across the states.
- Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila calls Lagos State Commissioner of Police; Zubairu Muazu and demand the release of arrested #EndSARS protesters in Surulere.
- Hon. Demond Elliot secured the release of 5 arrested #EndSARS protesters detained at Area C Police Station, Surulere.
- Paystack donates NGN 1,000,000 to help pay the medical and legal expenses of protesters.
- Softcom donates NGN 1,000,000 to Feminist Coalition for #EndSARS.
- #EndSARS protest held at Kolner Dom, Cologne, Germany.
- IGP announced the set-up of the Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT).
- Feminist Coalition announced the deactivation of its bank account.
- Presidential Panel on Police Reform met and approved the 5 demands of #EndSARS protesters.
- Nigerian musician, Olubankole Wellington (Banky W) leads #EndSARS protests at the Governor's House in Marina, Lagos.
- Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu receives protesters demands (#5for5) at the protest grounds in
Alausa and presents them to President Buhari.
- Youths in Oyo, Plateau, Rivers, Enugu joined the #EndSARS protest.
- The Lagos State Government set up an NGN 200 million funds for victims of police brutality in Lagos.
- Residents of Rivers State defiled Governor Wike’s directives and marched to Government House.
- Nigeria songwriters - Chinedu Okoli(Flavour), Chibuzor Nelson Azubuike(Phyno), Owoh Chimaobi Chrismathner(Zoro) joined the protest in Enugu.
- Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde declared full support for the #EndSARS protest and calls for an end to Police brutality.
- Plateau youths joined the protest.
- Youths in Enugu joined the protest.
- Youths in Oyo joined the protest.
- Youths in Rivers joined the protest.
- Chairman of Flutterwaves; Tunde Lemo, denies he directed suspension of the fintech form's payment platform.
- Feminist Coalition announced that it had raised the total sum of NGN 37, 355,649 in crowdfunding for the protest.
- Twitter CEO, Jack Dorsey calls for donations to support the #EndSARS protest.
- Pastor E. A Adeboye declares support for the #EndSARS protest.
- The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) announced that all street demonstrations have been banned.
- The Police Service Commission reportedly listed the names of 37 former members of disbanded SARS officers dismissed from service.
- Minister for Africa for the United Kingdom (UK) Government, James Duddridge MO, says the UK is monitoring the #EndSARS protest in Nigeria.
- Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo (SAN) announces that the 36 state governors and the FCT Minister will set up Judicial Panels of Inquiry that will adopt a public hearing model.
- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) announced that it has constituted members of an independent investigation panel into the activities of dissolved SARS.
- The Nigerian Army announced the commencement of the nationwide exercise 'crocodile smile VI' from October 20 - 31, 2020.
- Thugs attacks #EndSARS protesters at Olaiya Junction of Osogbo, Osun State.
- Nigerians living in France meet at the Eiffel Tower TROCADERO to protest.
- Feminist Coalition launched a helpline centre and an online radio platform named 'Soro Soke'
- Kaduna State youths join the protest.
- Lagos State Government inaugurates an 8-man Judicial Panel of inquiry and Restitution to investigate cases of police brutality in the state.
- The Edo State government announced the imposition of a 24-hour curfew across the state.
- Police attack #EndSARS protesters in Abuja.
- #EndSARS protest held in Nigerian Embassy France.
- Pro-SARS protesters held a press conference, warns #EndSARS protesters in Abuja.
- Femi Gbajabiamila (Speaker, House of Representatives) vows not to sign off on the 2021 Budget without provision
for victims of police brutality.
- Former US Presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, calls on the President Buhari administration and the Nigerian Army to stop the killings of young protesters.
- #EndSARS and pro-SARS protesters clash in Abuja.
- Lagos State Government announced the imposition of curfew at 11:49 am.
- At about 4 pm, the IGP ordered the immediate nationwide deployment of an anti-riot police unit, Police Mobile Force(PMP).
- The United States(US) embassy and consulate in Nigeria announced the shutting down of its consulate in Lagos for 2 days.
- LSG extend the enforcement If it's 24 hours curfew from 4 pm to 9 pm
- At 6:45pm peaceful protesters were shot by Nigerian Army officers at Lekki toll gate holdout.
- At about 10 pm, Lagos State Government orders an investigation into the Lekki toll gate shooting.
- Peaceful protesters were shot by Nigerian Army officers at Lekki Toll Gate, Lagos.
- Lagos State Government suspended all government activities and declared a lockdown for 72 hours.
- Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu confirms two people had died as a result of the Lekki shooting.
- The UK High Commission in Nigeria announced the shut down of its VISA application centres in Nigeria for the next 48 hours.
- The Nigerian Army denied deploying soldiers to attack #EndSARS protesters.
- Chairman Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS) and Ghanaian President, Nana Akufo-Adodo called on Nigerians to sustain and build peace in the ongoing #EndSARS protest.
- Youth protesting the killing of Jimoh Isiaka invaded the palace of Soun of Ogbomoso, Jimoh Oyewumi, and were allegedly shot by the security officers attached to the Minister for Youth and Sports Development, Mr Sunday Dare.
- Manchester United star, Odion Ighalo voice support for #EndSARS protest.
- Beyonce shares a message in support of #EndSARS.
- President Buhari addresses the country in a broadcast on the #EndSARS protests in which he was silent on the
shooting of protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos State.
- Lagos State Government eased the 24 hours curfew to now run from 6 pm to 8 pm.
- African Union (AU) Commission Chairperson, Moussa Faki Mahamat condemns violence against #EndSARS protesters in Nigeria.
English model, actress, and businesswoman, Naomi Campbell lent her voice to share support and demand justice for Nigeria youth.
- IGP ordered the immediate deployment of all police operational assets and resources to bring an end to the unrest.
- Nigerians In diaspora protest in Zurich, Paris, New Zealand, Berlin, Toronto, and Belgium.
- The Mayor of Houston, Sylvester Turner announced that the Houston City Hall would be lit green and white in solidarity with the #EndSARS protest.
- Osun State Governor, Gboyega Oyetola announced a 24 hours curfew in the state.
- Minister for Youth and Sports Development, Mr Sunday Dare announced that President Buhari will address Nigerians on the Lekki toll gate shooting.
- Governor of Imo State, Hope Uzodinma approved 2 billion Naira for youth empowerment.
- Lewis Hamilton shows support for the #EndSARS protest.
- Lagos State Government announced the prosecution of 227 suspects allegedly involved in #EndSARS unrest.
- Martin Luther King III called on the federal government of Nigeria to guarantee the freedom of peaceful protest in Nigeria.
- Pope Francis called on the Catholic faithfuls to pray against violence in Nigeria.
- Governors of South-West states pledged support to their Lagos counterparts.
- Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, stated that the President decided not to address the Lekki shooting until he has access to all facts.
- The Minister for Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola discovered a hidden camera at the Lekki Toll Gate.
- The Kwara State Government launched 500 million naira recovery funds for businesses whose properties were looted and vandalized.
- National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) fined AIT, Channels TV, and Arise News, claiming they used unverifiable video footage from social media during the #EndSARS protest.
Lagos State Judicial Panel on Police Brutality commenced and adjourned to November 30, 2020, due to petitioners not being available.
- National Economic Council (NEC) launched a committee to meet the needs and demands of Nigerian Youth behind the #EndSARS protest.
- Oyo State launched a 500 million Naira fund for youth empowerment.
- Nigerian Army stated that its presence at the Lekki toll gate was requested by the Lagos State Government.
- Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu promised to compensate families of policemen killed during the #EndSARS protest.
- Desmond Elliot, a member of the Lagos State House of Assembly apologized for calling #EndSARS protesters children.
- Beyonce announced a call to donate and support for #EndSARS protest.
- Lagos State lift curfew.
- Active citizens organized the WeMOVE webinar to discuss the way forward after the protest.
- Minister for Information and Culture, Mr Lai Mohammed announced that the FGN has no plans to shut down social media.
- President Buhari calls on youths to dialogue with the government.
- Northern Governors declare support for Buhari's administration, moves to regulate social media.
- Nigerian Police started training over 400 personnels as new Special Weapon and Tactics units(SWAT) at the Police Mobile College in Eggon, Nassarawa State.
- Rivers state Governor, Nyesome Wike, in an interview with Africa Independent Television (AIT) alleged that members of Indigenious People of Biafra (IPOB) killed six Soldiers and four Policemen. Destroying all the police stations and courts in Oyigbo.
- The Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN) stated that there is a possibility that the shooting in Lekki was done by hoodlums.
- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) inaugurated an independent investigative panel on the allegation of human rights violation by SAR officials.
The Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike announced that the curfew in Oyigbo will be reviewed to now commence from pm 7to p6m in a bid to recover over 15 rifles stolen from the burnt police station.
The International Commission Court (ICC) states it will commence a preliminary examination on the Lekki toll gate.
- Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) got a court order to freeze 20 #EndSARS promoters bank accounts. However, these accounts and more had been
frozen by October 15, 2020, without a court order.
Lagos State suspends Judicial panel over the freezing of #EndSARS protesters accounts.
Mr. Kenechukwu Okeke filed a criminal complaint before a Chief magistrate court in Abuja against 50 '#EndSARS promoters'
The Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu says he sees nothing wrong with freezing accounts ordered by CBN.
#EndSARS protesters drag CBN to court over frozen bank accounts.
British Member of Parliament (MP) Chi Onwurah presented a parliamentary petition calling on the UK to condemn governments’ violations of the rights of #EndSARS protesters.
CNN published an investigative report on the Lekki massacre.
UK parliament had a deliberation on the #EndSARS protest because of an e-petition signed by 220,330 people for the investigation into human rights abuses by the Nigerian government and security agencies on citizens.
- The legal department of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) led a suit to stop the judicial panels. However, the IGP said it was not authorized by police leadership and the suit would be withdrawn.
Lagos Judicial Panel approves the reopening of Lekki Tollgate.
- Nigerian youths call for #OccupyLekkiTollgate in protest to show their displeasure at the proposed reopening of the Lekki Toll Gate on Saturday, February 13 at 7 am.
- Nigeria youths call for #OccupyLekkiTollGate in protest to show their displeasure to the proposed reopening of the Lekki tollgate on Saturday, February 13 at 7 am
Court orders CBN to unfreeze 20 #EndSARS protesters bank accounts
- The Attorney General of Lagos State, Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), Commissioner for Information & Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, and Commissioner of Police, Mr Hakeem Odumosu did a joint press conference to warn against #OccupyLekkiTollGate protest.
- The Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed warns protesters against #OccupyLekkiTollGate.
- Rinu Oduala resigned as the youth representative on the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality.
- Lagos Police arrive at Lekki Toll Gate in a show of force.
- Debo Adedayo (Mr Macaroni) and other protesters were arrested during the #OccupyLekkiTollgate.
- #DefendLagos Groups suspends protest and describes, #OccupyLekkiTollGate organizers as money-grabbers.
- Youths protesting the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry’s approval to reopen the Lekki Toll Gate were met with a show of force by the Nigerian Police. Over 39 youths were arrested for protesting.
Mr Macaroni shared his experience of intimidation and torture by police officers when he was detained.
Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu has directed the state Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu to institute an investigation into the harassment of some protesters who were arrested during the #OccupyLekkiTollGate protests on Saturday, February 13, 2021.